Thursday, August 11, 2005

Turn up the volume

Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons, and you will find that it is to the soul what the water-bath is to the body - Oliver Wendell Holmes

The power of music to me has always been fascinating. My friends all know that it is a huge part of my life and I often catch them laugh to themselves when they get into a conversation about it with me. I tend to research a lot on my own and used to write reviews, do interviews, etc. What I never did get to write is why I would even bother doing it for free.

Everyone assumed I got paid for my articles. I didn't want to write about it for money. I wanted to do it because of the experience, the bands I got to meet(some heros of mine, some zeros) and just the sheer pleasure of contributing something to the scene that gave me so much.

Music has always been part of this social discourse for me that a lot of people never get fully immersed in. By immersed I do not mean the kids who walk around looking like carbon copies of their favorite band either. I just mean fully involved in what bands are trying to do from album to album and whatever music is pushing the envelope, but not too far. The greatest power music has is the ability to bring a massive audience together, under one roof, with very little conflict. The people who do cause things are often inebriated to a rather high degree, but often not even they can ruin the experience. My friend got yaked on once and he didnt even care so long as the music kept going. This is the power I am talking about.

Nothing else even comes close. How is it that we cant seem to replicate this type of human understanding outside of this setting? Is it the psychological effects of the music, or is it simply that most people dont even take the time to see this is happening when they are at a show? Whatever it is, I know for certain that I will never fully grasp this idea but will always embrace it.